Monday, March 24, 2014

Valero Texas Open: Five To Thrive


The weekly "Five To Thrive" column continues this week in the first Texas event of the year, the Valero Texas Open.

After some fun in the sun in Florida, the TOUR heads to Texas for the Valero Texas Open. This is the penultimate event before The Masters, so lots of players are heading to TPC San Antonio hone their game before Augusta. Here are the top 5 golfers you should keep an eye on this week:

5. J.B. Holmes - Long hitting J.B. finally showed some signs of life with a top ten finish last week at Arnie's event. I've always been a fan of his style, and I hope his good momentum can give him another solid tournament this week.

4. Jordan Spieth - He's quieted down a bit after his hot start, but I think this will be a good week for the young star. After a bit of rest, I think Jordan is primed for another great week, and should be in the mix on Sunday afternoon.

3. Matt Kuchar - The usually consistent Kuchar didn't make much noise in the Sunshine State, which surprised me a bit. Shouldn't be a surprise if he contends this week though; he has 2 top-25 finishes here. I expect Kooch to get back on track.

2. Zach Johnson - Zach always seems to play well at this event (2 wins), and with The Masters right around the corner, I know he wants to hit peak form. Although he might not win this week, I expect ZJ to show us why he's still one of the best Americans playing right now.

1. Phil Mickelson - Look, I know Phil hasn't had the greatest season so far, but that's just who he is. He's one of the streakiest players we have in the game, and that's what makes him so entertaining. Here's to hoping he surprises a lot of us and comes out on top!

Well, there you have it. These are my 5 players to thrive at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Let us know your 5 in the comments, or tweet at us @HTWDSports!

No comments:

Post a Comment