Monday, February 24, 2014

The Honda Classic: Five to Thrive


Starting this week, I'm going to be writing a weekly column called "Five to Thrive". This week, the focus will be on golf, but eventually I'd like for it to expand into a variety of sports. In this column, I'll preview a certain event and give to you the top five players/teams that I think will do well. This week, we head to Florida to analyze the Honda Classic. 

With the West Coast Swing coming to a marvelous close (thanks to Victor "Golden Hands" Dubuisson and Jason Day), we head to the Sunshine state. Florida begins a mini run of some great events, starting off with the Honda Classic. It has the star power and the course to be one of the best tournaments of 2014.  With the famous "Bear Trap" finish, anything can happen. Let's take a look at the 5 players that I think can succeed this week:

5. Michael Thompson - The defending champ definitely was going to make my list. Why? Because he's the champ! His season has been fairly decent so far (2 top 25s in his last 2 starts), and with the right confidence into a course he's won at before, I expect him to do well.

4. Sergio Garcia - Although a gentlemanly gesture MAY have cost him a deep run at Dove Mountain, don't be fooled: Sergio has been having a great late 2013/early 2014. He's won in December and January. Who says he can't collect another win now?

3. Tiger Woods - The main reason I didn't put Tiger #1 or #2 on this list: he's struggled big time this year. The main reason I didn't keep Tiger off of this list: he's Tiger Woods. He knows how to light this course up (62 in 2012), and with the doubters growing larger, I think we'll see at least a top 10 from him, if not a win. That should return things to normalcy.

2. Adam Scott - Many analysts in the golfing world believe he could end up with another dominant season. I'm skeptical on him dominating, but there's no denying that he's in the form of his life right now. He'll easily be in the mix on Sunday.

1. Rickie Fowler - Coming off his best tournament of 2014, I predict that the new haircut Fowler will win this tournament. He's been struggling with a swing change, but it seems that he got that and his confidence sorted out last week. As long as he can keep the momentum going, I have no doubts that he can make a statement win in his bright orange on Sunday.

If you have any disagreements on my picks, let me know in the comments below. Should be a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment